Sunday, February 8, 2009

Amazing Grace




As I was wandering around saint germain de pres, I remember feeling a little lost, not in my way but in my mind, and when i reached a stand on the street, full of tiny little french paintings that you would notice all around paris and especially along the river seine, i stopped and stared at the words in the picture above. I can very well remember that i kept repeating the words in my head until this old man, came too close and into my comfort zone, with a weird smile on his face, and asked me "do you know what that means?", I tried to explain to him my version, but he kept on smiling and said "My friend, be ordinary and you will mix well with the world, but be different and you will stand out".
After begging him to buy his piece of Art, the artist was reluctant at first as this particular piece he never took down from his stand since the day he started displaying his art back in the 1980's, but then asked me to buy him coffee in exchange for the art. As we walked towards his usual cafe around the corner, Le duex Magot, i noticed that he kept his stand unattended, then again, i also noticed that this man was a very familiar friendly face around here, everyone knew his name.
Yaseen Khan is nothing less than a genious, who worked from the streets of paris, in the 30 minutes conversation i had with him, I saw a man whose face was full of wrinkles, but only when he smiled, and spoke, only when it was necessary to speak, and wore white, only to spread peace and serenity to the world. He told me stories of his youth and film career, yes he was an actor, he told me how there is no where in this world where he would rather be, and that he lives by not regretting any decision he took.
As I walked away, holding on to his words in my hands, I was not sure where i was going, but I was sure that I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see.....

N

2 comments:

  1. Your photo of this serene man has moved me. Thank you for the reminder that we should speak when we have something to say, be peaceful when we are listening, and spread our love while we are here on earth. I have one more comment, "break these chains and set me free." Your blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ awesome babbler! I love you for ur uplifting comment :) we should definitely spread love and only love ..

    Peace always,
    N

    ReplyDelete